5 tips from our Care Managers if you are new to getting support at home

By Wendy's Homecare
November 04, 2021

Where to begin within the Aged Care System can be daunting. We’ve consulted our specialist Care Managers and we’ve put together a small guide with five top tips on getting started. We hope this guide helps you through the process a little more stress-free and welcome feedback and any questions you might have.

    The process of accessing funding and services can take several months (sometimes up to a year or more), so we recommend being prepared in advance. Start having the conversation and research as soon as possible to find out your options and what getting support at home might look like for you in the future. You can contact My Aged Care (MAC) on 1800 200 422 or visit their website www.myagedcare.gov.au.
    When making decisions about your future, it’s a good idea to have an advocate or family member with you who knows what’s important to you and can be listed as an ‘authorised contact’ right away. That way, they will be able to support you and express your needs on your behalf, if needed.
    If in doubt, give us a call. The process of accessing funding and services can be complicated and confusing if this is new to you. Our friendly team of experts are here to assist you to navigate the process and can help you understand what options you might have.
    When contacting My Aged Care, you will need to let them know what you need help with so they can work out if you are eligible for any government funding. For example, “I am having trouble completing normal daily tasks like shopping and cleaning and need help to do these tasks so I can re main in my own home, which is very important to me”, or “My mum has had lots of falls lately and is having memory problems, we worry that she is not eating regularly.” Being honest with your enquiry will ensure you get the level of support and funding that you need.
    There are two types of funding for in-home services that you may be eligible for through My Aged Care.

Entry-level funding is known as the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP). This program is for low-level support, covering a maximum of 3 hours per week for things such as personal care, social support, community transport, domestic assistance, meal support and allied health services. You will have to pay a co-payment when accessing this type of funding – the amount of the co-payment will depend on the service provider.

The second type of funding is Home Care Package Funding which is the funding above CHSP. In this program there are four levels of Home Care Packages. Level 1 is the lowest and Level 4 is the highest funding available.

Both types of funding require you to be assessed in your own home by an assessor. There are two types of assessment:
1. RAS (Regional Assessment Services) that assess for CHSP Entry-level funding only; and
2. ACAT (Aged Care Assessment Team) that does a more comprehensive assessment, assessing for Home Care Packages as well as residential aged care (both permanent and respite care).

At Wendy’s, in-home care is our specialty. We pride ourselves on assigning specialised staff to suit individual needs. Whether it is domestic assistance, personal care, respite, or short-term care – we are committed to providing the best carers available.
For more information on our services visit: https://wendyshome.com.au/services/

Share with